Sunday, May 9, 2010

Visiting Harvard Business School - An Emotional Experience !


My program in Boston comes to a conclusion today. 

All I could say is, boy, what a lovely city and what an experience !

My first meeting in Boston on the 6th of May was at the Harvard Business School (HBS). 

The meeting was set for 10am and I was scheduled to meet Professor Paul W. Marshall.

Professor Marshall is the Professor of Management at the Arthur Rock Center for Entrepreneurship.

Prior to returning to Harvard ( he was Harvard faculty on 2 previous occasions), Professor Marshall was Chairman and CEO of Rochester Shoe Tree Company.  He is very much a hands-on entrepreneur as he is a scholar.

Not wanting to be late, I arrived at the HBS gates at 9.30am. 

The unmistakable red brick building, carefully trimmed lawn and the crisp smell of the fresh air brought tears to my eyes.

As a teenager I have always dreamed of going to either Harvard or one of the IVY League schools. I was never a top "A" student to start with. To add to this, I never knew how to study for exams. But that didn't stop me from dreaming.

However, this did not mean I was a lazy student. I was extremely hardworking - a voracious reader and I would actively seek out the underlying causes of things - the philosophy behind it all.

"Dreamer. Attention span of a 5 year old" was one of the remarks on my report card in my early school days. These "generous" remarks from my "favourite" teacher obviously caused me a lot of pain, literally. 

My dad never passed the opportunity to spare the rod when we were growing up, especially when he sees such comments on the report card.

This dream never left me even as an adult. That is why when I got admitted to Cambridge University to study entrepreneurship, I took the opportunity, despite my already hectic schedule as an entrepreneur.

As I was walking down the driveway of HBS, I felt like I was walking into a holy place - a temple of knowledge. Many would think I am being a romantic, but so be it.

Arrived at the Arthur Rock Center for Entrepreneurship at 9.45am and was just waiting around the lobby.

Professor Marshall emerged at 9.56 and led me through the door to the conference room adjacent to his office on the other side of the lobby.

He asked if I wanted coffee. I was too much in awe of him, I declined. He brought his Starbucks and sat down, loosened his tie and asked me to do the same which I did promptly.

He said, "I read your bio. It looks like you are on a mission to learn. I am happy to discuss anything you want, what shall we discuss? "
Such readiness to share, to teach and impart his knowledge. 

I said, "Prof, firstly, thank you for making the time. I really appreciate it. Sir, if you allow, I would like to go back to the basics - I want to discuss entrepreneurship in its bare bones level, I would like to know how early in one's life should one be exposed to entrepreneurship education. I would like to know your thoughts on how and when a young graduate should start a venture - weather he or she should work first or venture immediately, the role of governments in promoting entrepreneurship and your thoughts on affirmative action and its role in creating an enterprising culture and on grants etc.  If you allow me, I would like to video tape the discussion sir"

"By all means", he said.."but before that, how would you describe yourself ?" he asked.

"A scrappy, start-up entrepreneur, running a life-style business sir" , I responded.

He smiled and we began....more on in my next blog.

1 comment:

  1. Hey wat happened..?? I m 18 yr old and i have a startup.. this seems to be very interesting.. i would like to know more about this meeting..Harvard is my dream.. yeah.. trying. :)

    ReplyDelete